Fiber to the desktop
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Fiber to the desktopExpand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:23 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 01, 2015 11:42 AM
I am looking for standards based info on running 2-strand MM fiber (zip cord) to a work area wall plate.  In fact, make that three zip cords to each wall plate!  Obviously, bend radius is a main concern.  Is there a minimum electrical box size that is recommended?  The horizontal run is in cable tray until it hits the work area.  There, it drops down in conduit or raceway to the wall plate.  Of course, all of the service loops will stay in the cable tray or just above the ceiling where the drop is located. 

Thanks

Post #8013
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:32 AM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:53 AM
I just recently had to deal with this type of installation and the manufacture advised me that due to bend radius etc they recommended a 2 Strand Distribution fiber over using a "zip cord" style cable. In addition they had recommended angled faceplates with a deep outlet box due to the clearence required for the fiber optic connector itself and bend radius of the fiber. As far as service loops etc you do not need to worry about electrical inductance etc by adding a loop. Not sure if there is an actual standards document for FTTD but a 10FT service loop in my opinion wouldn't be a bad idea in case of damage at the outlet end.
Post #8016
Posted Friday, February 01, 2013 11:20 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Friday, May 01, 2015 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info.  This is a government job and they hardly every vary from their spec.  We have already brought up the bend radius issue.  They hardly batted an eye.  I was hoping that there were some standards in place that I could use to bolster my argument.  The angled connectors is a good idea.  I may even suggest a surface mounted box (some even have the bend radius guides built in) since they are running these to a modular workstation.

Thanks again.

Post #8020
Posted Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:33 PM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:53 AM
The job we are doing we were forced to have to install multimedia outlet boxes at work stations and over the single-gang outlet boxes provided by electrical contractors due to bend radius and clearance issues.... cant say the outlet boxes look as good as a faceplate but even with angled face plates clearance wasn't optimal. Originally I was going to put in "Zip-cord" style cable but the manufacture advised me this was NOT common practice for this application. I wish you the best of luck on this item, if I come across anything I will be sure to post.
Post #8024
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:13 AM

Forum Member

Last Login: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:29 PM
RANDL makes a "5 square box" that could help the bend radius issue if you are in at the planning phase of the project.

http://www.randl-inc.com/telecom_boxes.html

Hans Broesicke, RCDD

Post #8066
Posted Friday, March 01, 2013 8:13 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, June 13, 2016 5:01 PM
The multi-media outlet boxes or the angled faceplates are the way to go. Not sure which govt agency you are working for but several govt agencies do it this way. I think Siemon make s a good multimedia outlet box. Several other manufacturers do too.

RCDD
ITS Tech

Post #8074
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:28am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ