New data center
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

New data centerExpand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 01, 2011 7:58 AM
Hi,

I'm in charge to evaluate the Air conditioning system capacity of a new data center, among other things,

and I want to know if there is any methods that I can use to do that.

Thanks
Post #6209
Posted Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:03 AM
Hi,

A few questions. Are you using an outside provider to maintain/assess your data centre on a regular basis? If not, I would highly recommend that you do so. A full service provider who can assess things such as:

HVAC and electrical (identifies potential areas for reducing energy consumption, calculates the loads on each UPS and per-rack enclosure, analyzes path redundancies, etc)

Thermal and CFD (measures air temperature and air flow at critical points throughout the data centre, identifies hot spots and airflow restrictions, performs a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analysis in problematic areas - may include important variable such as air pressure, temperature and velocity; constructs an 'as is' floor plan identigyinf issues with airflow, obstructions and other areas of concern)

Data Centre "big questions" (potential revenue that is left, where the next failure will be and why, what repairs are really needed, etc)

...is going to be a huge benefit to the overall function of your data centre. I'm not sure where you're located, but Ainsworth is a great company to look at. Even if they're not near you, they have some good ideas which may be worth checking out:

www.ainsworth.com

www.datacentreassessment.com

Post #6210
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replay, the problem is that the administration of my company, want to have an idea of the electrical consumption and eventualy the amoun of heat generated by servers before proceding with a third party like Ainsworth.

You mention CFD, I did a search on some available FREE software, all I found is 6sigmaDC whish is not free, do you know other ones??

Tanks again.
Post #6215
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:40 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: BICSI Staff
Last Login: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:03 PM
You can take the wattage of the servers, switches and other gear and get your consumption. Based on the amount of watts, you can multiply that by 3.412 and get how many BTU you have. Divide this number by 12,000 to get the amount of cooling you will need in tons.

Now this is an over simplification, I would add at least 25% or closer to 50% to these numbers to give yourself some wiggle room. It is far better to come under budget than go over.

Need any more help just ask.

Christopher S. Hobbs, RCDD, DCDC, RTPM | Manager Training Provider Services | chobbs@bicsi.org
BICSI | Advancing the Information and Communications Technology Community | 8610 Hidden River Parkway | Tampa, FL 33637
+1 901.461.3756| Fax: +1 813.971.4311 | www.bicsi.org

Create a Connection: Follow BICSI on Twitter; Join us on LinkedIn;
Become a Fan on Facebook; View Videos on YouTube.

New BICSI CONNECT Courses: Related to business, project management and safety. Visit www.bicsiconnect.org.
New 13th Edition Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual: Purchase BICSI’s updated flagship manual at www.bicsi.org/tdmm.
Showcase Your Industry Expertise: Earn a prestigious BICSI credential.

Post #6216
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:49 PM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:43 PM
chobbs74 (7/27/2011)
You can take the wattage of the servers, switches and other gear and get your consumption. Based on the amount of watts, you can multiply that by 3.412 and get how many BTU you have. Divide this number by 12,000 to get the amount of cooling you will need in tons.

This is not wrong, but is the old methodology.  Take a look at this link for a different mindset.

"and they must try to envision their power, server and storage needs for the next decade before they start building."

Captain Cable

Post #6218
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:44 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: BICSI Staff
Last Login: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:03 PM
Captain Cable (7/27/2011)
chobbs74 (7/27/2011)

This is not wrong, but is the old methodology. Take a look at this link for a different mindset.

"and they must try to envision their power, server and storage needs for the next decade before they start building."

It might be the old methodology. However it will be what you will need for the RCDD exam. Thanks for the link.

Christopher S. Hobbs, RCDD, DCDC, RTPM | Manager Training Provider Services | chobbs@bicsi.org
BICSI | Advancing the Information and Communications Technology Community | 8610 Hidden River Parkway | Tampa, FL 33637
+1 901.461.3756| Fax: +1 813.971.4311 | www.bicsi.org

Create a Connection: Follow BICSI on Twitter; Join us on LinkedIn;
Become a Fan on Facebook; View Videos on YouTube.

New BICSI CONNECT Courses: Related to business, project management and safety. Visit www.bicsiconnect.org.
New 13th Edition Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual: Purchase BICSI’s updated flagship manual at www.bicsi.org/tdmm.
Showcase Your Industry Expertise: Earn a prestigious BICSI credential.

Post #6221
Posted Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi,

Y'v been very helpful, and yes I have another question, what about the postion of racks and cooling systems, because this factor affect the system parformance (Hot spots).

Thanks.
Post #6222
Posted Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:04 AM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:43 PM
My apologies, my ignorance can sometimes be monotonous.  New, still planning, what stage are we talking about?  Where is the cooling, over or under?

Rack??  Watch your mouth!  There's no need for that type of language in here.  More than likely if any, by building out any DC with racks, (without a tremendous amount of other parts and coordination) The "Hot & Cold Aisle" technique will disappear.

Christopher

No worries mate!  Do me a favor and tell Mr. Corker IT is good for him!    Cheers!

Captain Cable

Post #6223
Posted Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:15 AM
Certain elements of the building envelope play a major role in determining a building’s energy use and consequent costs and greenhouse gas emissions,

building envelope consultant
Post #6272
Posted Monday, August 15, 2011 10:59 PM

Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 05, 2011 4:34 AM
One of the key for establishing new data center is that the management should understand the cooling system and what are the measures to consider when it comes to data center. there are new strategies that arose in the field of data centers nowadays. They are implementing the use of green thinking.

DATA Centers Without compromise!
Post #6279
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 5:06pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ