OSP Manholes
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

OSP ManholesExpand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 01, 2015 11:42 AM
I am looking for the recommended distance between manholes for underground ductbanks.  I will be pulling 50/100 pair copper and 12 strand multi-mode fiber.  I am concerned with damaging the fiber if I exceed the pulling tension for too long of a run.

Thanks in advance.

Post #374
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:45 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, June 13, 2016 5:01 PM
I will not claim to be an OSP expert but in my previous position I did quite a bit of OSP work.  As a general rule we had some sort of pull point whether be a manhole or handhole about every 400'.  The building layout on the campus will also play a part in your manhole/ductbank layout.

RCDD
ITS Tech

Post #401
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:42 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:53 PM
The max distance between pull points, I believe, is 600'.  However, 300'-400' may be more realistic.  This is the distance the OSP department wanted at a phone company I used to work at.

Scott Waidley, RCDD
Post #614
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:34 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, June 18, 2012 3:35 PM
Standard manhole lengths are 500ft in general.  Based actually on the standard bore installations.  You can go further depending on your design.  As for placement of cable it depends on the cable being placed.  Fiber can be placed longer, but also undertand that over 1000ft of fiber cable using a capscan or bull wheel will be borderline 600lbs of pulling force.  If it is placed using an air-assited or blown method I've been able to acheive 2000ft with a 375 CFM compressor before slow-down.  If you cascade your system by placing a capscan/bull wheel or air assited machine every pull point you can acheive longer distances.  On most campus enviornments you'll see 400ft to 500ft distance between maintenance holes.   You will also see this in the carrier world as well.  Not because you can't pull the cable any further but for laterial pulls or for distrubtion points or splices.  Most dark fiber companies like (Level 3, AboveNet, Qwest) will place maintenance holes every 1000ft on long haul runs or surrounding metropolitan areas.  Again its based on the design or mostly the pulling method of your cable installation.  Copper is different based on size of the cable and weight.  It also depends on your wench capabilities through the duct system.  If your planning on pulling this cable by hand then you diffently want shorter distance between maintenance holes for management of the cable.  Just my two cents.

Ron Leger, RCDD, TPM/OSP-PM, CFOS/I

Thanks,

Ron Leger, RCDD/OSP/ESS/RTPM(i)

Post #755
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:44am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ