ONU vs. ONT
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

ONU vs. ONTExpand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:32 AM
Hi all,

In the context of Ethernet in the first mile , when do I use an ONU and when to use an ONT...as far as I know both will convert singnals and output electronic signals to be trasmitted over copper. am I right?

Post #3069
Posted Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:24 PM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:47 AM
amro.mash (3/30/2009)
Hi all,

In the context of Ethernet in the first mile , when do I use an ONU and when to use an ONT...as far as I know both will convert singnals and output electronic signals to be trasmitted over copper. am I right?

Amro,

I didn't know, so you prompted me to do some searching. According to the always reliable (right?) Wikipedia the two terms mean the same thing...

"A device called an optical network terminal (ONT), also called an optical network unit (ONU), converts the optical signal into an electrical signal. (ONT is an ITU-T term, whereas ONU is an IEEE term, but the two terms mean exactly the same thing.) "

Doug

Doug Weis, RCDD, ESS

doug.weis@hei-eng.com

Post #3089
Posted Friday, April 03, 2009 2:21 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Friday, September 18, 2015 3:15 AM
As Doug says I agree that they mean the same thing - refering to IEEE and ITU terms.

I have been involved in GPON deployment for some time and have found that the term ONU is usually used to denote the small residential units with a few ports (say a couple of POTS ports and a few more FE ports for High Speed Internet, IPTV etc.)

The term ONT is used to denote the ones with larger port counts (including E1 ports and GE ports), serving bussinesses, MDUs etc.

This opinion is based on the usage of the terms I have seen being used.

Yehiya, RCDD

Post #3154
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 4:43am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ