Conduit Pathway
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Conduit PathwayExpand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:08 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is a BICSI standard for conduit pathways for horizontal cabling? Is conduit daisy chaining allowed? Please provide BICSI standard, code numbers, etc if there are any.
Post #2169
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:43 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:35 AM
I believe its code in Chicago to place everything outside in Conduit, but that might be for the area and other reasons.  It's still an idea.

Can someone help out on this, I believe it to be a time sensitive topic.

Kevin J

A picture is worth a thousand words. 

Post #2170
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:50 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Horizontal cabling and conduit pathways?  Can you give a bit more information?

Post #2171
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Does BICSI have a standard for cat 6 against conduit daisy chaining from the main cable tray to a workstation? I have been told this is not acceptable by industry standards but have not been able to find anything in writing. I have a customer that wants to install cable to multiple workstations. He wants to install one conduit from the main cable tray to one workstation and then "T" off to get to the second workstation.
Post #2172
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:02 PM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:47 AM
anonymous (11/6/2008)
Does BICSI have a standard for cat 6 against conduit daisy chaining from the main cable tray to a workstation? I have been told this is not acceptable by industry standards but have not been able to find anything in writing. I have a customer that wants to install cable to multiple workstations. He wants to install one conduit from the main cable tray to one workstation and then "T" off to get to the second workstation.

The TDMM doesn't address this from the standpoint of cable category type; they say this (from Chapter 4), "To ensure proper capacity for cabling, a conduit from the TR should not extend to more than two - and must not extend to more than three - telecommunications outlet boxes."

We don't like to daisy chain outlet boxes, but there are occasions when we have. We have taken the statement above to apply from cable tray to outlet box, as well as what is stated - TR to outlet box.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Doug Weis, RCDD, ESS

doug.weis@hei-eng.com

Post #2174
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:26 PM

Forum Guru

For something outside the NEC...Hmm.  Some local codes specify the type of horizontal pathways to be used.  The TDMM mentions it and notes that design considerations should be looked at (access, growth and construction changes) carefully.  I would think this sounds more like a security reason then anything else.  If that's true, why not look into an accessible trough?

Kevin J

Post #2176
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:40 PM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:02 AM
anonymous (11/6/2008)

As long as the installer can maintain proper bend radii and does not violate any local codes there should not be an issue. While the practice is not "normal" I have seen it used but rarely, the situation may warrant the practice.

Joseph Golan, RCDD (Retired)

Palm Coast, FL

Post #2177
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:39 PM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Thursday, June 01, 2017 2:25 PM
Make sure to upsize the conduits to the first point to allow for the number of cables from start to finish. The box that you go through may also have to be bigger. Daisy chaining is also a huge pain if you decide 6 months after you complete the job to remodel and remove one of the drops in that run or add cables to an existing drop. I would daisy chain ONLY as a last resort.

Good luck

Gil Rivera- RCDD

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Post #2179
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Standard practice has always been to homerun all conduit installations back to the main cable tray. There have been problems in the past with "daisy chaining" conduits. I have a customer who is requesting whether or not this can be done to help save money on the install. I am against this practice 100%. Unless I can find a specific standard that says NO, I am kind of stuck.
Post #2180
Posted Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:22 PM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:50 PM
I wonder:
1.1 can we say that a "daisy chain" scheme applies in the moduklar furniture raceway, where the cables run from one point to the end of the row. "droping in both sides of such path the cables

saludos

roberto sanchez,RCDD
Perfil Activo y Creativo, S.A. de C.V.
México
Post #2182
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 2:41am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ