Cable Point of Entry extension within a building
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Cable Point of Entry extension within a buildingExpand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: BICSI Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 24, 2018 6:49 PM
The National Electrical Code definition of Point of Entry states:

"The point within a building at which optical fiber cable emerges from an external wall, from a concrete floor slab, from rigid metal conduit (RMC), or from intermediate metal conduit (IMC)."

My question is:
If non-fire rated (i.e. OSP) cable emerges from a wall directly into a metal pullbox that is attached to the wall, and within which the cable then enters IMC or RMC conduit that extends to some distant point within the building, would the location where the cable finally exits the conduit be considered compliant with the NEC definition of Point of Entry?

Looking for someone who could answer this question with reasonable certainty. I've already listened to a fair number of "opinions", but opinion of course doesn't count when it comes to the NEC.
Post #10801
Posted Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:05 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:02 AM
If I read your situation correctly, the point of entrance is where you come through the exterior wall or exits the conduits you spoke of. From that, you get 50' which includes all slack that you leave.

The 50' rule continues to be highly misunderstood

John C Adams
RCDD/OSP Desiger
SME- OSPDRM
Post #10802
Posted Tuesday, January 09, 2018 4:33 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2018 6:46 AM
And in Canada it is even more stringent, 3 metres (9.75 feet)
Post #10803
Posted Tuesday, January 09, 2018 11:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

The purpose is to extend the Point of Entry beyond the building wall. The electrical code permits this if the cable is not exposed and runs in IMC or RMC. Once the cable exits the Point of Entry it is only allowed to be exposed for a maximum of 50'. In this case, that Point of Entry would be from where the conduit run ends. My question is if the cable is not exposed, but does pass through a pull box (or pull boxes for that matter if the conduit run is long) would this scenario (with pull boxes) be code compliant.
Post #10805
Posted Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Learned the answer to my question. Code compliance is maintained even if the conduit run contains pull boxes. I had posted my question in an Electrical forum as well, and received a response reminding me that (properly installed) boxes and conduit bodies are indeed recognized components of a raceway system.
Post #10807
Posted Today @ 5:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 5:02 AM
Your post is very good and meaningful. How long will it take you to write and post? I hope the following article is as good.
the impossible quiz
Post #11006
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 11:24am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ