APC to UPC patch cables - acceptable practice?
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

APC to UPC patch cables - acceptable practice?Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:45 PM
I'm designing an internal CATV system distributed over OS2 SMF. The manufacturer of the fiber TX/RX requires APC connections into the equipment. Is it an acceptable practice to design the terminate the backbone for this on both sides into the enclosure using UPC ends and use a APC to UPC patch cable on both sides? I've heard different opinions about whether it needs to be APC to APC straight through vs utilziing APC ends into the equipment. I can't see why it would make a difference.

Thanks
Post #10691
Posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:54 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:57 AM
You should check with the equipment manufacturer on this. Our CATV devices on campus require direct fusion splices all the way through to connectors and then spliced on SC-APC connectors. The reflections from even one UPC mated pair could cause issues.

My guess is that you'd be ok, but if there's any issue in the system they're going to point to the UPC connections first.
Post #10692
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 1:21am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ