Exothermic welds that look questionable to me....
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Exothermic welds that look questionable to me....Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 11, 2018 2:58 PM
These both look very questionable to me. The 0553 picture has what appears to me to be a hole in the 4/0 copper weld to building steel.

The 0558 picture appears to be a cold weld to me.

Are both of these welds acceptable? Would you sign off on them as a good exothermic weld?

Thanks,

Mark

RCDD, TECH, INST1, INSTC, INSTF

Post Attachments 
IMG_0553.pdf (8 views, 1.86 MB)
IMG_0558.pdf (8 views, 1.91 MB)
Post #10644
Posted Monday, July 24, 2017 4:33 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Friday, September 15, 2017 4:31 PM
My understanding is that exothermic welds are sold/installed as kits. If it's a current project, try to find out who installed this weld, what manufacturer they used, and then forward the pictures along to that manufacturer for specific comment.

If it's an existing building and/or you have no way of knowing what kit was installed, test through it to see if it's continuous. It likely is. But the visible imperfections could be a cause for concern. If you have any kind of authority, recommend that these be redone to ensure an effective bond for the life of the building. Ultimately, whoever will have to pay for this re-work will decide if it needs to be done.
Post #10649
Posted Monday, July 24, 2017 7:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

It's a current building going on now. Great suggestion. I'm onsite in 2 weeks and will find out who makes the crucible and send them pictures for their comment.

THANKS,

Mark

Post #10650
Posted Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:43 PM
Forum Newbie

The Exothermic molds used were made by Pentair. They are an older version of the molds.

At first Pentair said:

This connection is from an older CADWELD mold design. This weld is low fill and looks to be borderline acceptable, if it cannot be removed easily from the steel with a light blow from a small hammer it may suffice as a grounding connection.
If there is any question or doubt in your mind or the inspectors replace the connection using a new VB mold.

Pentair then went on to say:

This connection (Weld with hole in collar) should be replaced using a new VB mold.

Then they said:

The concern would be full fusing of the cable (again, the weld with the hole in the shoulder) and it being part of the weld.
Seeing the weld metal cast around ends of the cable strands and the void in the sleeve area does supply confidence this is a robust electrical connection.

If I worked at Pentair and a Pentair mold was used, I'd probably say the same thing...... How can there be confidence if there is a Void in the sleeve?

Who else makes Exothermic Molds? I'll Specify them for use only next project.

Post #10695
Posted Tuesday, October 03, 2017 2:02 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:02 AM
If I remember correctly, CADWELD is the product name for Erico. I'd recommend them for any of this type of project
Post #10697
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 6:59am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ