cat3 cabling network for emergency telephone
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

cat3 cabling network for emergency telephoneExpand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:23 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:42 PM
Hi,

I would like to know in detail about the category 03 analog telephone cabling network. I am designing emergency telephone network for an osp network covering 2-3 km cable run inside a campus network. Is there any document available in internet to refer the cabling design for category 03 network includes the distance limitation between the communication room to the outlet and all.

As per BICSI- "In addition to the 800 m (2625 ft) backbone cable length for voice systems, total length between network equipment connections should not be greater than 100 m (328 ft)". But what would be the adoptable solution if the backbone length is more than 800 meter?

Is it acceptable to use a fibre optic converter in an emergency telephone cabling link or it should be a dedicate cat3 cable?. I think the entire backbone link should be of cat3 cable as the emergency phone should work during a power failure.

Please put your thoughts on it.

JOJU P RAJ-RCDD

joj.nemo@gmail.com

Post #6361
Posted Monday, September 05, 2011 6:32 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:02 AM
JOJU_BICSI (9/3/2011)
Hi,

I would like to know in detail about the category 03 analog telephone cabling network. I am designing emergency telephone network for an osp network covering 2-3 km cable run inside a campus network. Is there any document available in internet to refer the cabling design for category 03 network includes the distance limitation between the communication room to the outlet and all.

As per BICSI- "In addition to the 800 m (2625 ft) backbone cable length for voice systems, total length between network equipment connections should not be greater than 100 m (328 ft)". But what would be the adoptable solution if the backbone length is more than 800 meter?

Is it acceptable to use a fibre optic converter in an emergency telephone cabling link or it should be a dedicate cat3 cable?. I think the entire backbone link should be of cat3 cable as the emergency phone should work during a power failure.

Please put your thoughts on it.

Joju,

First thing I would do is to explore the distance limitation based upon the equipment suppling the dial tone for the off premise extension including any special peripheral equipment to extend the distance limitation such as off-premise cards or repeaters. Another trick is to increase the wire size of the cabling to help reduce resistance of the loop. These decisions will also be based if there is a suitable location to house the repeater equipment. In NYC the transit authority uses 19 AWG cable to overcome the issue for its tunnel telephones which can be at long distances from the originating equipment.

As far as using fiber cable and converters, you point out the need for this to work during a power failure which can be easily over come by adding a UPS at the converter locations. Again you will need a suitable location for this equipment.

I trust that these suggestions will help you discover a solution to your issue.

Joseph Golan, RCDD (Retired)

Palm Coast, FL

Post #6362
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:51pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ