Can you run an aerial fiber optic cable on a moving drawbridge?
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Can you run an aerial fiber optic cable on a moving drawbridge?Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 17, 2011 8:55 AM
A partner of mine has a steel bridge that raises & lowers. From the information that I have gathered, it appears that the control tower for the bridge is actually attached to the moving bridge span.  In short, is there a fiber cable that can withstand the constant raising and lowering of the control tower? I'm envisioning something like a traveling elevator cable, but have never heard of a fiber optic cable being used in this application.  I would think that the frequent motion might break the fibers.  The cable is to be used for telephones and surveillance cameras.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you

LG

Laura Garest
Communications Supply Corporation
lgarest@gocsc.com

Post #6094
Posted Friday, June 17, 2011 8:08 AM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:02 AM
Laura,

I would seriously consider contacting a representative of a major fiber manufacturer for their recommendations. Possibly Corning or CommScope has a solution to this particular application or at least they might be able to provide some data or previous testing. Besides the constant flexing, the minimum bend radii restriction must also be considered.

For Corning either contact your local rep or just dial 1-800-SIECOR1 and ask for the engineer on duty. As I see you work for CSC so you must have some local reps for both.

If that doesn't work out, the next best thing I believe would be to convert the signal that the fiber is handling to what can be handled on copper (Twp or coax). You do not say what is being delivered on the fiber (voice, video, LAN, etc) so it is impossible for me to get specific but what ever it is most likely will have to be converted at some point before connecting to the actual equipment it is servicing. It could be done is some type of weather proof enclosure near the last point being on solid footing. Power for the conversion equipment will be required for whatever type of media converters or multiplexors they end up using.

Sometimes fiber is not always the best solution depending upon the environment and other situations.

Joseph Golan, RCDD (Retired)

Palm Coast, FL

Post #6096
Posted Friday, June 17, 2011 8:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 17, 2011 8:55 AM
Thank you Joseph.

Laura Garest
Communications Supply Corporation
lgarest@gocsc.com
Post #6097
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:11pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ