RCDD exam preperation
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««45678»»

RCDD exam preperationExpand / Collapse
Author
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: BICSI Staff
Last Login: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:37 AM
Always challenge. If you do challenge a question, be sure to put why you are challenging the question (vague, multiple answers could be correct, etc) and what you think is the correct answer.

Additionally the Corey and Steve questions are great to test the actual knowledge, but the test questions are application of that knowledge. So the questions are not the same format. Corey and Steve are a great resource for making sure you have a solid foundation on the material in the TDMM, but you have to be able to take that information and use it in real world scenarios.

Good luck and don't give up. It can be passed.

Christopher S. Hobbs, RCDD, DCDC, RTPM | Manager Training Provider Services | chobbs@bicsi.org
BICSI | Advancing the Information and Communications Technology Community | 8610 Hidden River Parkway | Tampa, FL 33637
+1 901.461.3756| Fax: +1 813.971.4311 | www.bicsi.org

Create a Connection: Follow BICSI on Twitter; Join us on LinkedIn;
Become a Fan on Facebook; View Videos on YouTube.

New BICSI CONNECT Courses: Related to business, project management and safety. Visit www.bicsiconnect.org.
New 13th Edition Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual: Purchase BICSI’s updated flagship manual at www.bicsi.org/tdmm.
Showcase Your Industry Expertise: Earn a prestigious BICSI credential.

Post #8931
Posted Monday, January 20, 2014 1:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:46 PM
Just passed the exam, so I thought I would throw in my studying approach.

1. I read (almost) the entire TDMM front to back. Reading it thoroughly took me about 70 hours (averaging about 20 pages an hour.) Some topics were easier to grasp and went quickly, some topics still frustrate me because of the poor wording in the manual. I didn't read about 4 of the non-core chapters, which would be OK if you plan on reading them later (see further on).
2. Took the DD200 class. This just helped me begin to get organized, and had about 330 sample test questions. (32 hours) don't think for a minute that taking this class is enough to pass. You will fail miserably if that is your plan. However, I don't think I could have passed without it. It really got me going on getting organized.
3. Went through all my highlighted notes from the class, and transcribed them onto a notepad, and I tagged every entry with a chapter and page number. I ended up with about 82 pages of notes. This took me about another 60 hours, minimum (again, at a pace of about 20 pages an hour).
4. Retook all the practice questions from the DD200 class, and every answer I didn't know, I made note of it and wrote down the topic in my notebook (estimate another 10 - 15 hours)
5. Started with the coryandsteve.com website. Spent the rest of my time on this, again noting every topic that I didn't understand. I ended up with another 30 pages of notes (estimated 30 - 40 hours) Note that the Coryandsteve website have a database of questions, so every time you take a chapter quiz, you've got a decent amount of new material.
6. Review all notes, twice (20+ hours)
7. I was pretty consistently getting over 80% on all the quizes and tests from CoryandSteve. Again, every time you have new questions, so you aren't memorizing.
8. I only made up a few flash cards (about 10). On one side I would list 4-5 standard numbers (ANSI, UL, TIA, etc.), and on the backside I wrote down what they were. spent about 15-20 hours of time in the car running through these.
9. Make sure you get the electronic copy of the TDMM. It was the only way to search the TDMM quickly to find the answers. And don't load it on your IPad. The search feature was horrible. I ended up calling BICSI back telling them how useless it was and they allowed me another license.

All said and done, I did at least 175 hours of studying. If I was to make one last recommendation, it would be to read through the non-core chapters the weekend before you take the test. This would have helped me on 6 or 7 questions.

Also, note that I don't think there were more than 5 or 10 questions on the test that wire nearly exactly to any that were in the DD200 course questions or on coryandsteve. That was depressing, but you do cover enough material that you can squeak through the exam.

Hope this helps someone
Post #8932
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, January 07, 2019 6:23 PM
I also passed the exam recently. My study approach was the following:

The first time I took it:
1. I read the entire TDMM front to back. (50-60 hours)
2. I used CoryAndSteve.com for the first test (40+ hours).
3. Failed miserably with this method.
The only good thing that came of this first failed attempt is that I knew what types of questions that were on the test the next time. This test quizzes you on PRACTICAL knowledge. I don't suggest taking the test just to find out what it's all about but for me, it was a good learning experience (2.5 hours). Each question had FIVE answers, which I was anticipating four.

The time I passed the test:
1. I read the entire TDMM front to back again...and again. (at least 120 hours). Don't just read them....understand them. Look things up on the internet or on YouTube if things aren't clear. It's amazing what is out there.
2. Took a "refresher" class thru a third party and took copious notes (40 hours).
3. Transcribed my class notes into notebooks twice (at least 100 hours).
4. Transcribed my class notes into flashcards (60 hours). I used about 1,200-1,300 flashcards.
5. Studied flashcards so I knew the material inside-and-out (40 hours). If I didn't understand the concept, investigated either the TDMM or on the net.
6. During the test, on the whiteboard/scratch paper, I kept track of how many answers I knew 100%, how many I guessed (educated), and how many I had NO IDEA. I also kept track of the number of questions in each chapter. I knew that I only needed 84 our of 120. I had 75 100% right after the first 90 questions...a few educated guesses and a few no ideas. I figured if I got 50% of the educated guesses and 10% of the no idea ones, I only needed a few more in the last 30 questions which took a lot of pressure off.

Tips to passing:
Most importantly, know the material
Don't rely on CoryAndSteve.com (use it for review, after you know the material).
Relax when taking the test
Keep track of your 100% corrects, educated guesses, and no-ideas during the test (it will help you relieve stress once you pass or get near the "passing" threshold)
Remember, the test is PRACTICAL...they may use info from two areas/chapters in one question.

Chris Tettamanti - RCDD
DataPLUS Communications
Henderson/Las Vegas, Nevada

Chris Tettamanti - RCDD
DataPLUS Communications
Post #9297
Posted Monday, September 15, 2014 12:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:56 PM
I passed the exam on my first attempt, and I mainly used the flash cards I got off ebay, and these were very good. I got about 80 of my test questions out of those cards. It was more word association, which was a big help.

I also have the BICSI cards, but the information on each card was a paragraph long which soon discouraged me.

The problem I ran into was the overwhelming amount of information that I needed to cover, and I soon realized that I couldn't study enough, and I couldn't retain enough. After I did some general study of the manuals, I stuck mainly to memorizing cards, and that made all of the difference for the exam.

I have 2 friends in my company that are studying right now, and they are using the same system and they are both very confident for their upcoming exam. I highly recommend flash cards.

Product of the 80's
Post #9402
Posted Monday, September 15, 2014 12:39 AM
Forum Newbie

After reading my own post, I thought it should be known that I studied through all of the cory and steve stuff, and spent a ton of time in the manuals.

But, the one thing that made me be able to make a solid educated guess on questions where I only recognized familiar terms was the cards. That helped me read through the question and reason it out properly when the answer wasn't quite in my grasp.

Product of the 80's
Post #9403
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:55 PM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2018 6:46 AM
I am interested in who produced the flash cards you got on ebay.
The only group I know that produces flash cards is BICSI.
Post #9407
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2014 3:50 AM
Forum Newbie

The cards were just someone else's study material. I passed them on to my friends for their own study aids.

In addition to that, with all of the apps for phones and tablets, there are many places to get digital files of RCDD flash cards that people have compiled for their own study. I have run across dozens of them in my own quest for the silver bullet when I was studying.

I saw one on cueFlash that looked as good or better than the one I used.

Are you looking for that kind of thing? If so, start there.

Product of the 80's
Post #9420
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2014 3:44 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:44 PM
I have collection of topics/pointers that may help you to pass the online exam quicker. Just let me know.

(Guest)
Intelligent Building
Post #9447
Posted Sunday, March 06, 2016 4:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:23 AM
Is it possible for anyone to send me the TDMM 13th edition manual?

Zoya A. Hayat
Post #10189
Posted Sunday, March 06, 2016 1:04 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, January 07, 2019 6:23 PM
I can't, as the are copyrighted, but they are available online from the main BICSI website to purchase. I know that they may seem a bit expensive but if you are in this industry, they are invaluable.

Chris Tettamanti - RCDD
DataPLUS Communications
Post #10190
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««45678»»

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 1:37pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ