bending cabling standards
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

bending cabling standardsExpand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:34 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:51 PM
I recently read the article as well as attending the seminar at the winter conference recently. I am not sure where to post this but I strongly felt the need to comment on this issue. In the article the authors have suggested a new way of connecting to ip devices in the field and suggested a new connection scheme dubbed the direct attach method. If not familiar with the concept it is the installation of a mod plug on the end of the link cable instead of a jack for ease of connection specifically for cameras and also to alleviate the lack of code compliant plenum rated patch cable.

This is a bad idea in my opinion. We as an industry have spent many years building a dependable standard. We have all seen the project with the cables running straight from the switch to the pc with mod plugs on both ends. No patch panels, jacks or patch cables. Yes it works. but on the basic level it is nether dependable or standards compliant and in the end will lead to trouble. I know that the authors intent was for cameras that are part of the building structure and not intended for regular movement or relocation. The problem here is that today it is a camera tomorrow it is something else. Anyone that has been in this business for any length of time can tell you how fast and often things change out here in the field.

I think there is a better way to address this issue. I know we are trying to make the security contractors job easier but bending the guideline is not the solution.

1. In order to comply with plenum rating issues for jack and biscuit box type of connectivity in our neck of the woods it need to be installed inside of a standard 4" square electrical box with a blank cover. Plenum rated patch cables are available but expensive and the ones I have seen appear to be no more than a piece of plenum rated horizontal solid conductor cable with mod ends installed.This is an issue for the manufacturing guys to deal with but as things become more popular they also become less expensive.

Bending the rules for the security contractors is a bad idea. Next year it is the av contractor. Year after is is the building automation contractor. As more and more devices and industries evolve to ip based devices I would suggest that we hold the standard and let the industries learn to abide by the standards. They were developed for a reason and have been tried and true for many years now. Lets not bend them because what bends is often broken

Post #4466
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 22, 2010 4:19 PM
I completely agree. In addition to all of your good points, I would also be concerned about a valid test. Modular ends or connectors hanging from the ceiling would be difficult, at best, to achieve a solid test and test results. What protects these ends while awaiting equipment installation?
Post #4535
Posted Thursday, August 05, 2010 11:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 05, 2010 2:02 PM
I also agree. The standards were created to help eliminate problems.

I can't think of all the problems allowing security contractors to apply connectors directly to the cables might cause.

John Thomas
Bicsi RCDD
Post #5117
Posted Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:42 PM
I have made GC's, EC's, and others very mad with me for not installing the plugs on my cabling. I install my jacks, faceplates, and labeling, then do my testing. I have not and will not just put plugs on, ever.

I don't care how upset these people get. As I always say "Right is Right and Wrong does not belong to anyone"

R.F.Futch, RCDD

912-587-5964

Post #5244
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 12:19pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ