Is the RCDD too hard to pass?
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

1234»»»

Is the RCDD too hard to pass?Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 03, 2014 10:45 AM
Locally we have had several contractor estimators and designers fail the RCDD up to 4 times.  Is this test too difficult?  I have had to change my standard specifications to accept alternatives to the RCDD.  I worry that we (RCDDs) are losing ground.  I want the test to be difficult, but is there a point at which is can be too hard?  Or are these guys just dummies?  I studied, took and passed the 11th edition the first time and did not find it difficult.  Are there certain tests that are harder than others?  I would like to hear what other are seeing around the country.

Ryan Hall, RCDD

Cabela's, World's Foremost Outfitter

ryan.hall@cabelas.com

Post #3093
Posted Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:21 PM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:02 AM
Ryan Hall (3/31/2009)
Locally we have had several contractor estimators and designers fail the RCDD up to 4 times.  Is this test too difficult?  I have had to change my standard specifications to accept alternatives to the RCDD.  I worry that we (RCDDs) are losing ground.  I want the test to be difficult, but is there a point at which is can be too hard?  Or are these guys just dummies?  I studied, took and passed the 11th edition the first time and did not find it difficult.  Are there certain tests that are harder than others?  I would like to hear what other are seeing around the country.

Ryan,

I haven't checked lately but the older results I believe said that at any given test there was only a 25-30% passing rate.

Yes, as you know, not all RCDD tests are the same and it is the luck of the draw when you sit for one as to which test you get. I am not saying that some are easier then others but to an individual they may know more about a subject that is not covered and less about one that has many questions, thus that test would be harder.

I for one am not ashamed to say that I took mine three times. The first was middle of the road and believe I missed by only a few points. The 2nd was so difficult I left the exam fustrated and "hoping and praying" for a pass knowing I might as well as buy a lottery ticket. The third time I knew I blew it away and had no doubt of success before I got the results.

On the other side of the coin, I wrote an RCDD reccomendation letter for someone new to the industry and even though he had little experience, he passed on the first go a round.

Some people are just bad taking tests.....enough said

Joseph Golan, RCDD (Retired)

Palm Coast, FL

Post #3095
Posted Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:46 PM
Forum Guru

Last Login: Monday, June 17, 2013 7:48 PM
My thoughts,

I passsed on my first go a few years ago.

I think the issue is that the RCDD requires you to have years experience. Then you have to do a course (usually) and try to re-learn all your assumptions, or most of them. As the industry is not strictly regulated, you can build up a lot of misinformation. This then makes it extremely hard to re-learn everything with in a week or two. I think the test is easier if you don't know anything as you only have to remember the correct information in the course and you don't have to keeping dismissing the information you thought was correct. I just think that the longer you are in the industry prior to taking the RCDD exam, the harder it is to pass.

NextGen is looking at moving into the direction where it has a practical side to the test and less importance on memory learning. Personnally I think that is a croc. I think there should be a practical but also don't reduce the memorisation requirement.

Post #3097
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:06 AM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:27 AM
Ryan Hall (3/31/2009)
Is this test too difficult? 

Absolutely and resoundingly NO! The company I work for has put 5 people through the exam since I've been with them.  And all of us passed the exam the first time through it.  I chalk that up in large part to a commitment from the company of giving us what we needed to be successful providing we use that to its fullest. 

I'm not a great test taker by any means and looking back my experience was more of a hinderance than a help as I had to "unlearn" a lot things I thought I knew.  But with a huge amount of work and the help of a pretty good company behind me I was able to be successful.  So I know that others can be as well. 

Post #3102
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 08, 2010 1:47 PM
First post, and a new lurker to the forums, so bear with me.

This topic is especially relevant for me, as I'm currently in the process of studying to attempt my first go at the RCDD exam in 2 months. I've been an installer, lead tech, and then project manager for my company over the past 4 years, and coming from this background I can appreciate the new initiative to have slightly less focus on rote memorization than on a true understanding of the material covered. I doubt anyone can truly memorize the entire TDM, and honestly why should they have to? How much of the TDM do you use on say, 95% of your jobs, versus some of the more obscure arcana in there that you might be lucky to use on 1 job in your entire career? And if you do get an oddball job, are you just hung out to dry because you can't remember the conduit size recommended for a permanent boat dock telcom outlet? No! You go and look it up! Its not like you're forced to turn in your TDM and burn it to recieve your stamp and certificate, so why should the test be about 100% memorization?

About how hard the test is, I actually appreciate the difficulty involved. To me, it would seem that if I can pass this test, as difficult as it is, then I am a member of a very small group of people good enough to qualify for this certification. The work booklets I'm studying, from the exam prep course I've enrolled in, show me just how much I thought I knew 100%, and just how much more I have no clue about yet. I say keep the difficulty, but the focus should be shifted off of memorization.

Post #3108
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:47 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:53 PM
I took the test on the 9th edition and passed it the first time.  However, I put in 6 months of studying almost every day.  I used flash cards and a computer-generated test, both of which helped immensely.  I read the book cover-to-cover at least twice as a separate task and several more times in reviewing flash card and practice test questions I missed.  I also took the RCDD review class at the beginning of my studying to help me focus on more critical areas and took it again right before the exam.

Is the test too hard?  In my opinion, not if you put in the time and effort.  I found it to be rather easy but there will always be something you don't know.  On the day of the exam I was doing some last minute cramming and came across a subject I didn't remember seeing.  I did a quick scan of the information and thought that there is no way that info will be on the test.  I had 3 questions in a row on that information!

Scott Waidley, RCDD

Post #3109
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:59 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:53 PM
I forgot to mention that I also took all of the classes that BICSI recommended.  DD102 was very helpful.  The way DD102 is presented today, which is much differnt than the way it was taught when I first went through it, I think it is one of the most beneficial classes that BICSI offers not only for studying for the RCDD exam but in general.

Scott Waidley, RCDD
Post #3112
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:44 PM

Last Login: Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:31 PM
It should be hard, we as RCDDs don't want to see our hard work watered down.

R.F. Futch, RCDD

Post #3116
Posted Sunday, April 05, 2009 4:36 PM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, March 23, 2014 6:00 PM
1. On my experience (I took it on 1997) it was quite hard, i had never like test, I sweat, no sleeping before, and so on.
2. but I took three months studying two hours daily (sunday as well).
3. at that time my memory was quite fine (now I forget almost everything)

So in a line: study, study and study and a handful old memory to gain the designation

suerte!!!

roberto sanchez,RCDD
Perfil Activo y Creativo, S.A. de C.V.
México
Post #3166
Posted Monday, April 06, 2009 5:35 AM

Last Login: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:40 AM
Definately it's up to you. I have passed the exam just one time try. I have studied the TDMM and there was no one who can advice in Korea. I just studied that . Just study hard and you can pass.

Forrest Yoon
Post #3168
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

1234»»»

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:01am

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ