Government choosing Single Manufacturer
BICSI
Welcome to the New BICSI Forums Community

Note:
NEW UPDATE: The Public forums are now sorted in a new order for easy browsing. We also fixed the issue with uploading large attachments. If you need any assistance please contact technical@bicsi.org.

BICSI Forums Community
Home      Members   Calendar   Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Government choosing Single ManufacturerExpand / Collapse
Author

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:08 AM
I have a problem in my area....a provincial public works department has chosen a single manufacturer for all of their projects to the total exclusion of others.....

There isn't any competition and there are only 2 companies in this small province which can provide the manufacturers warranty on that product.

comments please as it is causing m great frustration...not just because i am losing business but the moral objection over this.....there was no competition, no request for proposals, no review of pricing, or product....

Tell me what you think and if this has happened in your areas what the outcome was...

NS Guy

Post #3032
Posted Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:41 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Friday, March 04, 2016 1:33 AM
G'day NS GUY,

Whie on the surface the issue looks straight forward, that is, it should be opened up.

However, people don't just do the wrong thing, it may be wrong to you, but not to them. I think you need to get some more information.

Can you accurately state that there was no consultation to the industry, be that in the last 6 months or 6 years?

Has the department been burn't by other manufactures before?

Have you asked them for their reasons and have they given them to you? If so, what are the reasons.

I go back to my statement before, every single person makes the right decision for them.

It is up to us, as industry professionals, to give them the most accurate amount of information possible, to enable them to make the most informed decision.

Post #3033
Posted Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:14 PM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Hi Bucket,

i see your points and i will investigate further..he has never had a problem with our products that i know of...it is a mystery why he has gone single manufacturer. i know a competitor is as upset as i am.

i guess my main irritation is that a public department has made a choice without any industry consultation that i know of..and there hasn't been any proper public input. which around here involves an open process to satisy competion rules. I can see private industry forming an alliance...there are financial agreements and rebates that can be given which do not occur on the governmental side.

i appreciate the input...thats why i went to the forum...helps to have someone seperated from the issue helping out.

Cheers!!!

NS Guy

Post #3035
Posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:50 PM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2018 6:46 AM
Here is a document from the Canadian International Trade Tribunal

that ruled Public Works Canada violated NAFTA agreements by specifying

a sole source manufacturer for cabling. I wonder if the provinces are under

the same rules.

Post Attachments 
pr99024e.pdf (22 views, 54.85 KB)

Post #3049
Posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:06 PM

Forum Newbie

Dear dwlester,

This submittal is awesome....it basically has the argument and the outcome i believe i am facing all rolled into a nice bundle.

There is some investigation i need to do to determine if there was ANY due diligence on the part of the province to enact a 'sole source' requirement....

I am wondering if the NAFTA provisions still exist...i assume so.....the provinces i believe have to abide by the agreement. Good questions for a lawyer.

Thanks very much...

NS Guy

Post #3051
Posted Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:32 AM

Forum Guru

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2018 6:46 AM
Hello NS guy.

Good to speak with a fellow Canadian.

Sorry about the snow yesterday.

Post #3056
Posted Friday, June 17, 2011 5:05 PM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:53 AM
Speaking to my sales rep from belden on the PEI issue, the representative from Treasury who made the ITS standard can justify the Belden only solution because of the extra overhead and reliability... as well as a formalized installation course in order to sell the system and provide the 25 year warranty, within the industry there are several smaller companies who do not sent there employees to formal training such as what belden does and has been a discussion within the industry as more and more limitations are put on copper at the higher bandwidth area's. This is the governments justification and proves a valid point.... not too many other manufactures have as strict a requirement on those installing there systems.. Not to say that some CSV's don't do crap work but in theory it is a more quality system because of the standards..
Post #6098
Posted Monday, August 08, 2011 8:20 AM

Forum Newbie

Hi taustin,

i have taken all the Belden courses, and most all the other manufacturers as well in the course of my career. this is the standard company line with them...we are better, we put courses on, our stuff is better....hoping that most people will not realise that there are standards out there that everyone must meet...one certified solution is not really any better than the next guys solution. EIA/TIA 568C is the same for any manufacturer who must meet the requirements.

The contractors who are upset in PEI are fully trained and most made the investment in testing equipment...they do good work. now they are shut out.

The training that is going on over there is set up so that they are certified installers, not actually able to provide a real warranty....the province accepts this as a 'good enough'. i once believed they were the best but over the years when they do stuff like this.....not such a big fan.

NS Guy

Post #6250
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:28 PM
Forum Guru

Last Login: Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:38 PM
All the Document Templates (with examples) you will need to manage your Project successfully!!
Designed for IT systems development & implementation, but can be adapted for other Projects.

Download the Templates free at the download-links below (you will have to complete a short survey for each download):

Master Record Index - Click Here
Project Charter - Click Here
Project Schedule - Click Here
Project Costing - Click Here
Risk Register - Click Here
Project Issue Log - Click Here
Project Action List - Click Here
Change Request Master - Click Here
Change Request Form - Click Here
Project Progress Report - Click Here
Meeting Agenda - Click Here
Deliverable Acceptance Certificate - Click Here
Test Plan - Click Here
Test Case - Click Here
User Requirements Specification - Click Here
Functional Specification - Click Here
Business Process Definition - Click Here
Gap Analysis - Click Here

Project Charter -http://getmyfile.org/file/0r79j4
Project Schedule - http://downloadconfirm.net/file/0r79j5
Project Costing - http://downloadwho.com/file/0r79J1
Post #8438
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:12pm

©2011 - BICSI, Inc. All rights reserved. Advertise With Us | Press Room | Legal Disclaimer | Vision | Antitrust | Ethics Information | FAQ